Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

Charlotte Mason Meets Workboxes ~ Part 3





Getting Set Up
I chose large, clear, flat boxes, because I did not want things hanging out of the boxes. Having books and games that stuck out of the tops of boxes that were a smidge too small would just remind me of that messy pile of books and supplies we used to shuffle around every day in the middle of our school table. Getting rid of the shifting pile of resources we used each day was one of the main reasons I chose to start using workboxes, so having very neat boxes was a biggie for me. The boxes I found cost me a little more than other choices, but they are so worth it to me. 


Sterilite 6.2 Quart Modular Latch Box, Set of 6I also bought a Scotch thermal laminator for less than $30, a big pack of cardstock, velcro dots, and a round hole punch to punch out numbers and subject tags.

3M SCOTCH 9" THERMAL LAMINATOR~LAMINATING MACHINE~TL901 
For the first week I just experimented to figure out what kinds of assignment/task cards I might need for the kids' boxes. I wrote temporary task cards on sticky notes, then took notice of how smoothly things went and what I needed to add to clarify tasks for the kids. The goal was to make the independent work boxes just that ~ pretty independent. Then we took the plunge and printed up the task cards, color-coded numbers for each child, and color-coded subjects for each child. Next we made a velcro dot chart for each student to track their progress through the school day. I then made a "Work Completed" box, and we were set. I found the boxes and laminator and pouches and cardstock at Walmart. I bought the 1.5 inch hole punch and the velcro dots at Hobby Lobby. 

Each child has up to 10 boxes. Some days I use them all, some days less. We also have a stack of boxes marked for "Family Studies." That's where I neatly keep all the subject materials we study together. At night I fill a stack of boxes for each child, fill the Family Studies boxes, attach the numbers and subject tags, place the boxes on the bookshelf in order, and shut the school room door. Everything is completely ready when we walk in the next morning. Nice.

1 comment:

Melissa @ Half Dozen Mama said...

Love this series, Brenna! I just signed up for your RSS feed to read on my iTouch : )

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails