We also rearranged the living room and hung some bright posters and maps for our new school year. Since our living room is also our school room we have to be creative with the furniture. In addition to the wood stove, we manage to fit a long school table with 4 chairs (where we can all sit and work together) plus a love seat and a couch. The long table doubles as an art table, and it is, without a doubt, used more than any other piece of furniture in this house. These kids can draw and craft and make up math pages and build lego machines and every manner of art on that table! The room is crowded, and the walls are covered in maps and timelines. But it works for our family.
Now, in my quest to get this joint organized before my back-to-school curriculum shopping day, I'm moving on to the linen closet. For some reason, despite my best efforts, I've never trained my crew in how to fold and put away linens properly. So this is the Year of the Linens for Team Rhodes. I'm going to organize that closet, then photograph it and post that photo on the door. No excuses. That way they will know what things should look like when folded, and where every single item lives in that closet.
I will, however, continue to fold all the fitted sheets myself until my daughter has arms long enough to take over. After 17 years of marriage, I know it's scientific fact that men cannot fold fitted sheets. My dear husband is willing and able to do just about anything else that needs to be done around here~ clean bathrooms, load the dishwasher, cook (as long as it is pancakes.) But he has been beaten one too many times by those dreaded round-cornered beasts. He won't even try anymore. And after watching him wrestle with a sheet for the last time several years ago, I completely understand why. I'm determined to train up my boys into young men who know how to cook, clean, and do every other household task. But after watching their poor father struggle with fitted sheets, I'm giving all the males a pass on that one.
3 comments:
Brenna, I'm laughing out loud about the fitted sheets!!! So TRUE! Sounds like you are getting everyting into ship shape around there. :) Our dining room table serves MULTIPLE tasks in our house too. I often have to put away the clean laundry before setting the table for dinner. ;)
If you ever decide to give "Fitted Sheet Folding 101" classes.......I'm there. That is one task (okay...not the only one...but one of a few...or more than a few, lol) that I never mastered and get so frustrated with that, well......you'd cry if you see what I did to them. I basically gave up and decided to just take them from dryer straight to the beds. ;)
LOL on the fitted sheet dilemma also. I thinned out our linen closet this summer and it looks much better. Can you believe I had sheets in here from my college days? Less is more. So far it is looking good. Good luck on yours.
Post a Comment