Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

Southern Summertime Suppers

We've enjoyed filling our table with so much goodness fresh from the garden this season. The potatoes have been a hit every way I've made them. HW loves the tomatoes so much that he runs through the kitchen several times a day, grabs a couple and pops them in his mouth on the go. And the okra ~ wow! Normally, I never fry foods. But during okra season we just have to have some platters of this crispy southern goodness on the table, so I pull out the frying pan. It's truly worth the mess of frying just to see Baby S ask for "More kokra, puh-leeeeease!" The black-eyed peas have been very productive, too, even in this terrible heat wave we are having. We eat all we can, then fill the freezer with peas ~ we already have 11 quarts vacuum packed and stashed away for the winter! We are so thankful for all these goodies and for the chance it gives our children to learn about how God sends us our food. They are really looking forward to the melons and pumpkins next!

We eat this crispy okra like popcorn.

We've had some big beautiful reds, lots of grape tomatoes, plus these luscious little yellow pear tomatoes.
 They make a gorgeous salad with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar drizzled on top. 

The black-eyed peas thrive in this heat, with a batch ready to pick every two days!

Our first cantaloupe! It was gone in minutes. 

2 comments:

eliz said...

I'm drooling at the cantaloupe photo now! I've been where you are and it is so sweet and it melts in your mouth like butter! Here in MN all of our cantaloupe is hard and chewy. Someday I am going back for some real cantaloupe before I die!! :o) It will be August before we get anything really ripe here.
(((HUGS)))

nic said...

ohmyGOODNESS i envy your green thumb. every last bit of this looks amazing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails