It's hot, and the walls are closing in around here. We've been creative and tried to keep busy with indoor activities, but we are so ready for some cooler weather so we can run around outside again! And right now "cooler" could mean any temperature below 100 degrees. If it ever rains again here in Texas we are going to spend an entire day splashing in puddles. I think the kids may not remember what a puddle is.
After we finish school and chores each day we try to find some fun stuff to do that involves air conditioning. We baked and decorated sugar cookies one day, and the kids chose Christmas shapes to make thing feel cooler. It didn't really work, but we had fun. We dug around in the closet and found every musical instrument we own and they played them all at he same time. We've played hide-and-seek indoors, which reminded me how badly I need to clean out closets around here. We painted pictures. The boys have spent hours with Legos and R is sewing hard on a lovely Christmas surprise.
We got so desperate yesterday that we made birthday cakes out of play-do for S and stuck candles in them. Then I burned through a half a box of matches lighting candles over and over while we all sang the "Happy Birthday" song umpteen times. Good fun. It felt like surely we'd been at it for at least an hour, but when I checked the clock that mighty mess only used up twenty minutes of the long, hot afternoon.
These words of wisdom came out of my mouth this week:
"Don't bite your brother on the bottom!" (And this wasn't the first time I've said that.)
"Don't lick the fish tank!"
And, one of my favorites:
"Don't lick that frosting off your sister's foot!"
Seriously.
3 comments:
Oh no, isn't that so exhausting when you're all just tired of being shut in together? We are more likely to get that way in the winter in Missouri if we get lots of snow and bitterly cold winds. Sorry I don't really have much for suggestions, but I do feel for you! (And I'm hoping it cools off in TX next week--say 90, lol) And I love the crazy things we moms sometimes say, they just make me laugh.
You can think of us in MN this winter when we are snow bound and freezing! We go crazy by March! LOL!
Right now it is hot here, but not as hot as you. When we turn the air conditioning on here, we do not use the oven or any appliance that could add heat! That means in summer- no pizza, pancakes, cookies etc! But as soon as we don't need the air conditioning anymore (around mid September)we make all of those things all winter long to help heat the house!
Right now we are using the rice cooker and crock pot alot as well as boiling and quick frying! We make microwave coffee mug cakes for snacks!
Yesterday I had an 8 yr old bite her 9 yr old sisters arm! why???!!
S looks so big in her side bar picture! Your kids are adorable!
I do hope it cools off some, Shonya. Record-breaking heatwaves and droughts are no way to roll out the red carpet :)
Eliz, we haven't used our oven in so long the kids thought the cookie baking was out of this world :) Salads and sandwiches don't make heat, so that's what we've been eating! We also keep all the blinds closed and all unnecessary lights turned off. Sort of resembles a tomb in here lately.
Post a Comment