Pages

Monday, March 31, 2008

"Substantial"



I got a note in the mail the other day reminding me that our family is racking up daily fines for two library books that are overdue. I went by the library to pay the fines and tell them that the books are NOT lost, just hiding somewhere in my house. I hoped the books could be renewed to buy myself a little more time to search. Instead I got a grouchy clerk who would not renew them, and also pointed out that even though I paid the fines to date, fines would "continue to accrue." I left in shame, but was determined to find We Love Fruit! and Thomas' Railway Word Adventure and return to hand them in to that grouchy librarian in person.

One week later the minivan was cleaned to the point of vacuuming (a semi-annual event), the closet floors uncovered, every bookshelf sorted, each backpack searched, and every desk cleared. Lo and behold, we found the fruit book! Oh the joy! I raced to return it but the grouchy librarian wasn't there. So, I inserted it triumphantly into the return slot.

Meanwhile, slacker mom got another notice in the mail. It was apparently from that grouchy librarian. It no longer shows how much I owe, but instead states ominously that the Thomas book is so overdue that my "fines are substantial." What in the world does that mean? Just how substantial do library fines get? I don't really want to know.

Now, where in the world would two 5 year old boys stash a book? I obviously have no idea, but I'm off to check the freezer.


4 comments:

Bub said...

Don't forget to check UNDER the fridge too. Always a treasure trove there at Casa de Jackson.

Love the blog!

Unknown said...

I don't know if this happens to anyone else but me, but occasionally I find a book on the shelf at the library that is still signed out to me. Go figure.

If you don't find it, I hope they apply the fines to the cost of the book.

Love your blog!

Brenna said...

Thanks Bub. Good suggestion, so I'll pull out the yard stick and scrape under there next. Hugs to my favorite little J.

Brenna said...

I know, Jeanne! That has happened to me,too. As if we busy moms need ANY help in accruing late fees. Sheesh.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails