Lots of times the kids sleep right through bad weather, but this was a LOUD storm. Lighting flashed and thunder crashed and sheets of rain pounded on our metal roof. I hoped that it would pass quickly and the kids would stay asleep. Nope.
Eldest was already clutching her flashlight and clinging to me in my bed when the monitor brought a voice from the boys room. My 6-year-old stage-whispered, "Hey! Wake up! Wake up! There's a big storm!" I ran to their room in hopes of keeping the youngest asleep in his bed, but it was too late. He was squeezing his eyes closed trying to stay asleep amid the thunder claps, while his big brother was shaking him and speaking urgently just inches away from his face trying his best to wake him. It worked.
So I spent the rest of the night in bed with all 3 children and all their lovies, blankies, pillows and stuffed animal friends ~ you know we need all the support we can get when there's a storm and Daddy's not home.
After several hours of clinging to the edge of my overcrowded bed with Tip Top the giraffe's head jammed in my back and a hot little leg thrown over my neck, I finally gave up. I crept out to let the kids sleep some more, and started my day around 5 am.
It's been a bit of a blur since then, but the kids seem to think I'm a little cranky today. Maybe.
No comments:
Post a Comment