Though I'd stashed a freezer full of zucchini, we went through it quickly during the winter months. I used up the last bag of our frozen shredded zucchini in a batch of pasta sauce, then we started looking ahead to summer zucchini again. By March we were all starved for some fresh zucchini. And when the first cute little green zucchinis showed up in early summer we couldn't snatch them up fast enough. Nothing says "summer" better.
Then the squash bugs attacked. Even with a valiant effort from DaddyDon and Gram and the big grandkids, the bugs won. We never saw zucchini bounty this year. We just got a taste to tempt us. Just enough to remind us how delicious it is.
The photo above was the only little batch we put in the freezer. We've had other garden goodies this year, and we are still enjoying tomatoes and okra and peppers galore. But boy, do we miss having an out-of-control zucchini crop. Summer's just not the same without it.
2 comments:
Maybe if you drive by some of your friends and neighbor's houses - very slowly - they will toss some zukes out at you. Or did the whole area have squash bug problems?
We did get a delicious mess of green beans from our neighbor down the road, but I haven't found any zucchini around here yet~ I think the stinkers put us all out of business this year :(
Does everyone else call a bunch of green beans a "mess", or is that just a Texas thing?
Post a Comment