Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Turning Off the Heat - Final Score

I realized I don't think I posted our big news from our first Living Off the Land challenge. For that family challenge, we turned off the heat in our home for the months of January and February, and used only our woodstove to heat our whole house.

We have our electricity billed on average billing, so that way we pay about the same amount each month, based on our total annual usage.  After our little experiment in wood heating, we managed to shave $70 off our monthly average bill! That's an approximate $70 savings EVERY month of the year, just for turning off the heat for 2 months out of the year. Wow. We are pretty proud of ourselves.

We hope to make turning off the heat in December, January, and February a family tradition here at Pecan Bluff. Let's see... that gives us about 8 months to restock the empty woodpile so we'll have something to burn when cold weather hits again. We'd better get busy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails