It's a little odd to be thinking of the summer fruit season right now. But, after our year-long experiment, we realize that this Eat What You Grow plan is an everyday sort of thing ~ we always have to be planning ahead and setting ourselves up for success. For example, last year we pruned the fruit trees later than we should have, and though the trees truly needed that shaping up, we had to take off most of the blooms when we pruned. So this year we were determined to start the fruit season off right, by pruning all the trees right on time in January while everything is dormant and resting. And we did it!
Actually, Mike pruned the blackberries right after they bloomed late in the summer, and that was exactly right on time for blackberries. Then yesterday, he and I pruned the pears, apples, and peaches (bless his heart, he did most of the pruning and I stood back and pointed to limbs we wanted removed.) It was cold and windy, and pruning is always a big job here in the land of Canaan because things grow so huge here. But I know that work will pay off when the trees start to bloom and then set fruit on their new shapes. We are hoping for a productive year, and it feels great that we're off to a good start!
1 comment:
Hi Brenna ~ I followed your link off of the Hobby Farms community ~ intrigued because you mentioned you were in the south. I am evidently more south than you, since you've mentioned snow.
At any rate - may I ask where you are? Fruit trees are on the table for our farm, and we're just starting out. I'm keenly interested in your orchard thus far. :)
Thanks!
Post a Comment