Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Proud Parents!

Our beautiful daughter wrote this the other day
 when she hit the teen years,
 and I just have to share it here. 
We are so proud of her, and so thankful to be her parents.
 We love you, R!

Typical Teen
by R
Me, age 13
People seem to think that when a child turns thirteen, that he or she has to act, speak, dress differently than they have in the past. I am positive that when I turned thirteen last week, that I did NOT turn into what everyone might expect ~ a rebellious, lazy, self-centered teen. Some people think that it is like turning a switch, some parents think that their child has to turn into a monster. My parents will NEVER think that. They believe (and it's true) that the Bible never tells us to let kids act out, even when they are teenagers. It says that we are supposed love each other, respect our parents, and obey God, even when we are teens. The Bible never will give any excuse to teens to let them do things that they SHOULD NOT do, just because they become a teen. No excuses! If you think every teen has to be obnoxious and rebellious, just stand back and watch me! I don't plan to do those things, because I really do love the Lord and I really do love and respect my parents.

4 comments:

eliz said...

precious wisdom!(((HUGS)))

Jennifer said...

Respect for your parents is key. You have clearly done something right there. Congratulations on such a beautiful and intelligent girl!

Shonya said...

I am a big believer in children living up to expectations. Whether they are two (expect the terrible twos and you'll have them) or teen.

Have you read the books by the Harris boys? I especially liked Start Here, although both are very worth reading. http://learninghowmuchidontknow.blogspot.com/2010/05/right-where-you-are.html

Brenna said...

Me, too, Shonya! We love 2-year-olds around here, as well as teens. I've found each to be delightful in their own way, and we simply expect respect and obedience from each child, no matter the stage. Period. And the good modeling by our older kids really helps the youngsters figure out that things work best when you respect mom and dad :)
I look forward to checking into the books you mentioned. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails