I just came back from the garden and thought this would be a good time to update on our Living Off the Land Challenge~ Eat What You Grow. We finished week 3 and 4 well, and I'm pretty proud of how we are doing. Looks like we shaved about $100 off our grocery bill last month!
Spinach - If you remember, we were up to our eyeballs in the green stuff a couple of weeks ago. Then we had some rain, a few cool cloudy days, and a couple of days later the spinach was dead. That should teach us to enjoy bounty while we have it, shouldn't it? We loved trying several new recipes during the days of spinach, though!
Cabbage - I thought the cabbage would be a goner by now. It doesn't like heat, and things have been warming up here lately with lots of sunshine. But so far, it still tastes sweet and crisp. We are eating lots of cabbage roll casserole, sauteed cabbage, and veggie stir-fry with green and purple cabbage as the star. Looks like we can plan on another couple of weeks worth before the garden is empty of cabbage until next winter.
Onions - As usual, the onions are awesome. The tops are especially great right now. They don't have that yucky slime inside them that grocery store onion tops get. We are able to go through the row and just pick a top or two from each plant and leave the onion to grow some more. We are also pulling the bulbs as needed, too.
Asparagus - It has been slowing winding down. We still get a few shoots each day or so, but rarely enough for a recipe. We just eat them raw or toss them in a salad.
Salad Greens - Still going strong. The weather is warm enough now that we have to work to keep them from wilting, but the taste and texture is still good.
Zucchini - I picked the first cuties today! So excited!
Brenna - As for the woman of the house, I'm tired. This gathering, washing, and preparing mounds of fresh food from the garden every day is hard and time-consuming. But it really has been so much fun and we've all learned so much! I'm glad we are doing this little experiment. I'm glad to have the land to grow our own food. But I'm mostly glad I don't have to do this for every meal, every day. No wonder women aged so quickly back in pioneer days.
No comments:
Post a Comment